Friday, February 3, 2012

Issues With Design

This last week has been filled with frustration and disappointment regarding a redesign for our makahiki-rui project.  Our team was running into issues working with the current design structure of the site, which we felt was a little cumbersome for responsive design.  We then spent a good amount of time trying to come up with some image mockups for design ideas.  Suffice it to say, I have not used an image program in over 10 years.  I spent hours trying to relearn vector based images and just trying to make rectangles with curved corners proved to be an annoying task.  It sort of turned out decently anyhow, as all my design ideas and "wants" were summarily shot-down by the project leader.  At least I was spared the shame of having to present my shoddy design, since some of the other designs were really terrific.

I'll have to spend some more time in the future to relearn basic design elements and theory.  It is going to be a significant issue when it comes to making user interfaces for just about anything else that I plan to make in the future.  It is definitely a stretch, to put on an artist hat after only wearing a coder hat for the last few years.

Since I decided to leave the design aspects up to those in our team more qualified, I thought about approaching a different problem.  It was suggested that we keep most of the basic structure from the old site, but spruce it up by doing color changes to the CSS files.  The caveat being that we have specific style sheets across the site and so we wanted to have convergence with regards to the colors at least.  Thus, I created a new theme.css file and moved over all the relevant color settings.  I found most of the color settings were found in the screen.css file, which we could just as easily manipulate, but we want to have color schemes in a separate file for now.  If all goes well, we might be able to offer different color scheme which users can choose from whilst accessing our site in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment